Names P

Packard, Thomas Henry

Sergeant 53713 Thomas Henry Packard died of wounds on 25 March 1918, and is buried at Grand-Seraucourt British Cemetery.

He was aged 19 years 1 month when he attested on 31 August 1915 at Sheffield. From 23 Foster Street, he was a scythe grinder by trade, like his late father, and a Wesleyan. He was 5ft 3¼in, 120lbs and 35 in chest, with a scar on his right shin and left side of knee. On 4 September 1915 he was sent to join KRRC, regimental no 15301, and was posted to 14th Training Reserve Battalion 10 September 1915. From there he was transferred to 15 York & Lancs TR Bn and served with them rising to Acting Corporal before being transferred to 91st TR Battalion on 1 September 1916. On 21 December 1916 he was sent overseas and posted 12 DLI but while at Étaples he was transferred to 11 DLI with effect from 8 February 1917. He was home on leave from 24 December 1917 to 7 January 1918, but was posted missing and wounded on 23 March 1918. A note was later received from the German authorities to the effect that he had died of wounds to his head and left leg at hospital at Flavy-le-Marte on 25 March 1918.

Though technically his widowed mother Edith Ann Packard was dependent on him, with two smaller children (the 10 year old daughter Nora died of broncho-pneumonia), he made no pay allotment and in any case had other older brothers.

Page, William

Private 18883 William Page died of wounds on 21 September 1917, and is buried at Dozinghem Military Cemetery. Born Birtley, Page was 22 yrs 282 days when he enlisted on 15 September 1914 at Birtley. He was a metal cleaner, unmarried, 5ft 11, 154 lbs, 35½ chest. He was posted directly to 11 DLI. During training his only misdemeanour was overstaying his pass on 14 June 1915 when returning to Lark Hill, from midnight to 11.30 pm the following day. He was fined one day’s pay and given 7 days confined to barracks.

He went overseas with the battalion in July 1915. He suffered influenza for which he reported to 60 Field Ambulance from 22-26 March 1916. He returned home on leave from 5-15 January 1917. On 228 February 1917 he was admitted to 89 Field Ambulance with diarrhoea, and went back to duty on 8 March 1917. On 20 September 1917 he was admitted to 4 CCS with a gsw to the abdomen, from which he died the following day.

A list of effects returned for Page has turned up in Lance Corporal Cowell’s papers. Addressed to Mr G Page of 12 Queen Street, Birtley they consisted of disc, pocket book, 2 purses, cigarette lighter and cap badge. After the war his medals were signed for by his brother George Page, 10 Queen St, Birtley (age 38). He also had two older married sisters.

Palmer, Cedric

Information on Captain C Palmer is scarce in the official records, but he is almost certainly Cedric Palmer. He went overseas with the battalion on 20 July 1915 as head of the machine-gun section, which included Private Robert Bennett. As Captain in charge of D Company he led an enquiry on 4 April 1917 into an accident involving Private George Brown. On 25 May 1917 he was one of a group of 11 DLI men to be mentioned in despatches, London Gazette, p 5163. In October 1917, just before the Battle of Cambrai, he transferred to the Tank Corps. He survived the war, rising to the rank of Major.

Palmer, John Henry

Private 376697 John Henry Palmer was a  postal worker from Durham. He served with the Gloucestershire Regiment, Ox and Bucks Light Infantry and 27th and 6th DLI before being allocated to 11th DLI on 25 December 1917. Survived the war and was discharged 3 March 1919.

John William Palmer

Private 11759 John William Palmer was one of a large number of men who moved about between different regiments and battalions during the war, spending some time in 11 DLI. Before the war, Palmer was alternately in a Territorial battalion of the DLI at South Shields from 1912 and in July 1914 he joined 2 DLI. He was posted to 10 DLI on 6 July 1915 – the battalion was already in France since May of that year. He was posted to 15 DLI on 3 February 1918, and from there to 11 DLI for the first time on 6 April 1918, when the 11th battalion was being re-organised after terrible losses during the March Offensive. After a short period with 8 DLI he was posted back to 11 DLI on 12 August 1918. He had further postings to 8 DLI, 3 DLI, Depot and then 1 DLI from 16 October 1919 until his death. Within these postings he returned from France on 5 September 1919, but, despite an official request, did not go back to his pre-war occupation as a coal miner. He died in Lichfield military hospital on 25 February 1920 – although having been gassed at one point during the war and this was the cause of death as related within the family, the actual disease was rather more prosaic. He is buried in South Shields (Harton) Cemetery. His death was registered in Lichfield, recording his age as 28. This would associate with the 1911 Census when John William Palmer, 19, coal miner, single, was living with George and Isabella King at Murray’s Buildings, Collierley, Co Durham, and his brothers James (32) and Andrew (9). [Acknowledgement to his descendant, John Bonar, with thanks for most of this information]

Parfitt, James Robert Stanley

Private 376261 James Robert Stanley Parfitt, from Clapham, London, was reported missing presumed killed in action 27 May 1918, and is commemorated Soissons Memorial. He was probably then serving with 22nd DLI (which was decimated both in the March Offensive and the later German Offensive in May 1918) or 15th DLI (as recorded by Soldiers Died), but may have served some time with 11 DLI (to which he is attributed by the CWGC). He formerly served as 24122 East Surrey Regiment.

Parker, Robert Benjamin

Private 23525 Robert Benjamin Parker was killed in action 10 August 1916, and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. Although still formally attached to 11th DLI, he died while serving with 9th Northumberland Fusiliers.

He attested at Finsbury Barracks, London on 27 June 1915, aged 32 yrs 4 mths, married, a packer, living at 40 Ford Street, Old Ford, East London, C of E, 5ft 7½in, 37 in chest. Both little fingers slightly flexed, 3 scars on left forearm, mole on right arm, two moles between shoulder blades. His wife was Dorothy Beatrice (née Samson), married 25 December 1906; children Robert Charles (20 September 1907) and Hilda Beatrice (26 June 1913), both born Bow.

He was posted to 11 DLI 10 February 1915, but sent back to Depot 31 October 1915 and on to 16 DLI at Rugeley. His conduct sheet was clear. He was ill with flu, hospitalised at Newcastle for a week at the end of April 1916 and this delayed his overseas posting (originally for 7 May). He went out to BEF via Folkestone on 14 July 1916. From the Base Depot, although formally 11 DLI, he was actually attached to 9th Northumberland Fusiliers and it was while serving in their ranks that he was killed in action just 28 days later on 10 August 1916.

No effects were returned. His widow, having previously received 24s 6 dpay and allowances, was awarded a pension of only 18s 6d for herself and two children with effect from 26 February 1917. After the war there was some mix-ups with paperwork, cross-posting with material related to 24525 Pte Postle of Leadgate and sending medals to the correct person but annotating the form as 23525 T Dawson. By now Mrs Parker was living at 114 Mabley St, Homerton, London E9.

Parker, William Ewart

Private 44066 William Ewart Parker died of wounds 22 September 1917, and is buried at Mendinghem Military Cemetery.

Parker was conscripted and attested at Newcastle on 26 May 1916. He was mobilised on 9 January 1917. He was a clerk, aged 18, from Bath Terrace, Blyth. He was small at 5ft 1½in, 33½ in chest. His parents were William Johnston Parker and Isabella Parker (same address). He was a Wesleyan, clean conduct in training, and had one younger sister aged 10. He was an only son and left a will to his mother.

He trained with 38th TR Bn and was posted to 11 DLI on 29 June 1917, serving with A Company. He died of wounds to the head, chest and hand at 64 CCS on 22 September 1917.

Personal effects returned to the family included disc, letters, photos, note book, 3 religious books, gold ring, purse, match box cover, metal cigarette case, wallet, pair of scissors, bag, mirror.

Parkinson, James

Private 44899 James Parkinson was a witness at the Enquiry into the death of Pte Cunliffe on 6 June 1918. He had previously served with the Cheshire Regiment, Labour Corps and Middlesex Regiment. Survived the war.

Parry, Robert Thomas

Private 17544 Robert Thomas Parry was originally from Wrexham but signed on at Birtley in County Durham. He died of wounds 12 April 1918, probably sustained during the later stages of the March Retreat and is buried at Sains-du-Nord Communal Cemetery.

Paskett, Herbert

Private 25281 Herbert Paskett (or Poskett) of Chopwell went out with 11 DLI on 20 July 1915. He was later awarded the Military Medal, London Gazette 17 June 1919. He survived the war and was discharged Class Z reserve. Although not indicated on the medal index card, he attained the rank of Sergeant.

Pater, Francis David

Corporal (paid Acting Sergeant) 23492 Francis David Pater was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, Peace Gazette. According to his main medal index card, he went out to France as Lance Corporal, to join 11 DLI on 2 September 1915, rising to Acting Sergeant and being discharged at the end of the war, Class Z. Though it may seem unlikely, the name is not common, but in 1911 a Francis David Pater, aged 26, was a barman and cellarman living at 2 Chapman Road, Hackney Wick with his wife Alize Eliza and son also called Francis David aged 4.

Pattison, James Thirlaway

Private 21415 James Thirlaway Pattison died of wounds 24 May 1917, and is buried at Mory Abbey Military Cemetery.

He enlisted Newcastle 6 November 1914, aged 25 yrs 3 months, 5ft 3 ¾, 35 ½ in chest, 119 lbs. He was unmarried, living with parents Martin and Isabella Pattison of 7 James St, Kip Hill, West Stanley, Co Durham.

He was trained initially with 17 DLI based at Barnard Castle, where he got 3 days CB for overstaying his pass on 31 May 1915. He went out to France to join 11 DLI on 16 August 1915. He was treated at 60 FA on 21 March 1916 for influenza. While serving with D Company he died of wounds on 24 May 1917. Personal effects returned included letters, photos, cards, wallet, comb, knife, disc, purse, coin, book.

In 1911, the family lived at 23 George Street, Tanfield Lea, Tantobie and James was a miner (putter), part of a family of ten in which all the males worked in the pit. Sadly, the form was filled in to include four dead children whose names were crossed out.

Pattullo, Sergeant 19293 George Simpson

Born 4 November 1888 in Scotland, Pattullo was a clerk in Newcastle when war broke out in 1914. He enlisted soon after and was allocated to 11th DLI. As well as his educational qualities, Pattullo was also an accomplished sportsman. He had won trophies for tennis and had played football for FC Barcelona. Unsurprisingly, he progressed rapidly through the ranks and, when 11th DLI went overseas on 20 July 1915, he held the rank of Corporal. He was promoted to Sergeant during the following months until, at some point in early 1916, he was sent back to England for training as an officer. He joined as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 21st Northumberland Fusiliers in August 1916 and rose to Acting Captain with the 23rd Battalion before the war ended, finishing with the substantive rank of Lieutenant. After the war he built up a business as a coal merchant in Newcastle before leaving for Palma in Mallorca to work as a travel agent. He returned to England at some time around 1939 and probably volunteered for the Home Guard at the age of 52, relinquishing his entitlement to officer rank in the process. After the Second World War he returned to clerical work with the Ministry of Fuel and died 5 September 1953 in London. [Information from Gavin Jamieson]

Pearson, George

Lance Corporal 13002 George Pearson, aged 23, from Carlisle and Bensham, died of wounds 14 October 1915, and is buried Sailly-sur-la-Lys Canadian Cemetery. His service records have not survived. He was the son of Richard and Jane Pearson and the husband of Gladys Pearson of 71 Westminster Street, Gateshead. The 1911 census indicates that he was working as a coal miner (putter) and the various males in the family all worked in the pit.

Pemberton, Richard Laurence Stapylton

Commissioned 14 August 1914, with 11th DLI on embarkation 20 July 1915. Temporary Captain 8 May 1916 and rose to rank of Major while serving with 11th DLI. Awarded the Military Cross for actions both at Cambrai 1917 and Mézieres 1918. Second in command to Lt Col Carlisle until demobilized 20 January 1919. Took on anti-aircraft duties 1939-1941.

Richard Laurence Stapylton Pemberton was born 10 April 1891, the son of John Stapylton Grey Pemberton [1860-1940] and Janet Maud Marshall. His father was a barrister and became an MP and Recorder for Durham. [GRO REF: Births 1891 Apr-Jun Kensington 1a 136] He came from a distinguished Durham family, owning coal mines and land throughout the county including estates at Hawthorn Towers (Seaham Harbour), Bainbridge Holme (Bishopwearmouth), Belmont/Ramside (Durham City) and Cold Hesledon. He was the grandson of Richard Laurence Pemberton (1832-1901) and Jane Emma Stapylton of Bainbridge Holme, Durham. [GRO REF: Deaths Apr-Jun 1901 Easington 10a 257].

In 1890 John Stapylton Grey Pemberton married Janet Maud Marshall at Bangor, North Wales. [GRO REF: Marriages Bangor 11b 775, Apr-Jun 1890]. The following year John Stapylton Grey Pemberton was living at 5 Brunswick Grove, Kensington practising as a barrister. With him was his wife Janet M Pemberton (aged 33, born Scarborough), his mother-in-law Lucy M Marshall (53 born Myton, Yorkshire) and three servants, including a ‘monthly nurse’ (midwife) no doubt because of the impending birth of their son Richard.

In 1901 John Stapylton Grey Pemberton MP was living alone at 111 Whitehall Court, London and was recorded as having been born in Bishop Wearmouth, Co Durham. It has proved impossible to find the whereabouts in 1901 of the son, mother or mother-in-law [searched England, Wales and Scotland]. Janet Maud Pemberton died at Holyhead 1892 age 25 [GRO REF Holyhead, Oct-Dec 1892, 11b 358]. Given the Welsh connection, this is almost certainly Richard’s mother, although the given age does not accord to the information from the 1891 census. This explains her absence from the 1901 census. Richard was almost certainly away at boarding school (aged 10) and this may explain the difficulty in tracking him down. He was educated at Eton College and New College, Oxford, graduating BA 1912.

As well as the strong connections to Durham, there are also possible family links to the military. In 1901 George P L Pemberton aged 37 was a retired Army Officer, having been born in India. He had a 1 year old son, Percy R L Pemberton. They lived at The Lilacs, Chertsey St Paul’s Surrey. Sir W L Pemberton was Major General with the 4th KRRC in India on 5 July 1906.

At the outbreak of war, Pemberton applied for a temporary commission based on his university experience and as a private in the OTC, dated 14 August 1914. His permanent address was given as Hawthorn Towers, while his correspondence address was 65 Oakley Street, Chelsea (presumably his business address). Following training he embarked for France on 20 July 1915 with 11 DLI.

On 8 May 1916 he was made Temporary Captain while commanding a Company. He reported to 62 FA with influenza on 4 August 1916 and was away from his unit until 12 August. Shortly afterwards on 4 September he relinquished his temporary rank, reporting sick with debility to 13 FA and being sent back to England on 7 September 1916 via Calais and Dover for sick leave. His home address was given as Belmont Hall. He was examined at 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester. There is a small gap in the records until he is reported arriving at 35 IBD Étaples on 15 March 1917 and rejoining the battalion on 21 March 1917. On 7 July 1917 he was made Temporary Major. From 29 August to 1 September 1917 he was on leave in Paris, and from 18 to 28 September 1917 on leave to the UK. From 23 December 1917 to 27 April 1918 he was Acting Major and during this period was awarded his first MC (1 Jan 1918).

From 19 February 1918 to 5 March 1918 he was on leave to the UK, leave which was extended until 26 March 1918, as a result of which  he missed the first few days of the retreat). On returning to the battalion he took command of the remnants and in an action at Mézières won his second MC. The citation reads: For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. While in temporary command of headquarters of two companies this officer led them on a counter-attack against a village. Attacking across the open he succeeded in reaching the village with 23 men, fought through it and got to the far side, by which time there were so few men with him that he withdrew (LG September 1918).

On 26 April 1918 he was attached to 18 Corps as Education Officer, rejoining 11 DLI on 22 September 1918. He was away again from 30 September until 7 October 1918 at the 1st Army School of Cookery. On 10 November he assumed duties as 2nd i/c 11 DLI vice A/Major Ling. On 14 December he took over the battalion while Lt Col Carlisle was on leave, until 27 December 1918. From 6 -15 January 1919 he was on leave to Pau, before returning to England with a contingent for demobilisation on 20 January. He was demobilised at Ripon on 24 January 1919, issued with his Protection Certificate and returned to his occupation as ‘company director’, single.

During the inter-war years Pemberton reverted to his civilian life. I have yet to discover what exactly this was and whether or not he married during the period. From 1919-1922 he worked with the Ministry of Labour as 1st i/c Disabled Officers and Soldiers at Newcastle on Tyne.

As the international situation developed during the 1930s he must have become concerned. On 4 May 1938, using paper from the Carlton Club, he wrote to the War Office enquiring after a scheme for the enrolment of ex-Officers, giving his home address as Bainbridge Holme, Sunderland and his work address as 37 Arlington House, St James, London. He applied successfully and was put on the Officers Emergency Reserve with an end date of April 1946.

When war broke out he was given the rank of 2nd Lieutenant on a temporary commission with the Territorial Army. He was examined by 123rd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, Royal Artillery and was posted to 37th LAA Battery, later becoming 2 i/c 72 LAA Battery from 29 January 1941. He was requested to stand down on grounds of age and did so without protest, taking 28 days leave from 15 November 1941.

However, this was not the end of his military career for, on 15 December 1941, Pemberton joined the Durham Home Guard at Sunderland. He served first as a Major in the 9th Battalion Durham until 22 August 1942, when he transferred to the 24th Battalion. From 14 January 1943 he went on to the 25th Battalion until disbandment on 31 December 1945, though he remained nominally in charge until 16 March 1946. After his service was completed, in recognition of his services, on 21 March 1946 he was informed that he had been granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

Pemberton finally retired from the reserve on 1 September 1948 with the honorary rank of Major, having exceeded the age limit. On his 1939 examination he measured 5ft 11in, weighed 196lbs, with perfect eyesight and a 39½in chest – clearly quite an imposing figure.

Pennington, William

Private 18106 William Pennington of New Brancepeth went out with 11 DLI on 20 July 1915. He was awarded the Military Medal, London Gazette 6 August 1918, at the rank of Lance Corporal. He later continued in DLI with the regimental number 103279.

Phillips, A

Second Lieutenant A Phillips was mentioned in despatches, London Gazette 15 May 1917.

Phillips, Thomas

Sergeant 24131 Thomas Phillips went overseas with 11 DLI on 20 July 1915, but was later transferred as TR/5/2452 to 1st Training Reserve. He had enlisted on 19 October 1914, but was discharged owing to sickness on 3 October 1917, being issued with the Silver War Badge. Nothing further known.

Pickard, John W.

Sergeant 24547 John W Pickard was a smiths labourer at Shildon Wagon Works, County Durham. He joined 11th DLI on 2 September 1915, but was court-martialled 12 August 1916 for absence and reduced to the ranks with six months hard labour. He was later wounded and returned home, serving briefly with the Training Reserve, before being discharged as medically unfit 18 July 1917. Returned to work at Shildon but left 19 September 1918.

Pickering, Harry

Private 53726 Harry Pickering died as prisoner of war 28 June 1918, and is buried in Berlin South-Western Cemetery.

Born Barnsley 4 May 1887, he enlisted the day before his birthday on 3 May 1915 aged 27 years and 351 days. He was 5ft 7 ¾ in, 148 lbs and a chest expanding 2½” to 36½”. He was a ‘glass hand’ of good physical development, with normal vision and no distinguishing marks. Living at 24 Conway Street, Stairfoot, Barnsley, he was married to Frances Pickering (nee Denton) and had two boys, Harry (Born 13 Jan 1915) and George (born 21 December 1916). His father was William Pickering of 27 Brinckman Street, Barnsley, his mother Ellen. His brother was William aged 39 of 5 Church Field Terrace, Barnsley and two sisters, Annie Walton (29) of 36 Brinckman Street and Ellen Norton (26) living at no 27 with her parents.

From his service records it shows that on 3 May 1915 he was attached to the 14th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. By 27 March 1916 he was acting Lance Corporal (unpaid), before being posted as Lance Corporal to the Training Reserve Battalion in January 1916. He was transferred from there to 12 DLI as Lance Corporal on 20 December 1916, leaving for France the following day. He was transferred to 11 DLI on 8 February 1917 and three days later reverted to Private. The only medical report was with 26th Field Ambulance 1 June to 10 June 1917 as ‘Q.U.O.’

Pickering was caught up in the retreat before the March Offensive of 1918, reported missing on 23 March. It was later reported that he was a prisoner of war. He died at 4.30 am on 28 June 1918 at PoW hospital at Stendhal (no details of the cause). On 25 June 1919 his widow was awarded a pension of 25s 5d.

Pickering, James Harold

Sergeant 18836 James Harold Pickering was reported missing in action 25 March 1918, and is commemorated on the Pozières Memorial.

Born South Milford, near Selby, he enlisted 9 September 1914 aged 24 yrs 160 days, a signalman, 5ft 11¼, 33 chest, 132 lbs. His father was John Pickering of 14 Fairfax Avenue, Selby. He also had a brother in USA and two other brothers.

He was posted to 11 DLI. On 7 October 1914 he was made Lance Corporal, then Acting Corporal from 2 February 1915, confirmed at that rank on 30 December 1915, though he was already Acting Sergeant from 29 April 1915. He went out with the battalion on 20 July 1915 and on 4 February 1917 was promoted Sergeant. He had a clean conduct record, but while in France he had a number of minor illnesses. On 4 October 1915 he reported to 61 FA with boils, and again on 10 October with eczema. For this he was transferred forst to 60 FA on 13 October, then 2 LCCS on 18 October 1915. He was back on duty on 27 October. On 4 November 1916 he reported to 61 FA and his symptoms were serious enough for him to be sent on to the NZ Hospital where he was diagnosed with influenza and gastric complications. He returned to duty on 12 November 1916. On 19 May 1917 he reported to 60 FA with scabies, which kept him off duty until 16 June 1917. From 21-21 August 1917 he was on leave to England. On 25 March 1918, during the March Retreat, he was reported missing, presumed dead.

Plaice, Herbert

Private 25279 Herbert Plaice, from West Hartlepool, died of wounds on 31 August 1916 and is buried at Carnoy Military Cemetery. His service records have not survived. In the 1911 census he is recorded aged 24, a shipyard labourer, living in a boading house at 18 Rokeby Street, West Hartlepool.

Pollard, Clifford

Private 53250 Clifford Pollard was reported missing presumed killed on 29 March 1918, and is commemorated on the Pozières Memorial.

He enlisted on 15 December 1915 in Leeds, aged 26 yrs 8 months, 5ft 0½, 34 chest, weighed only 98 lbs, and was a hairdresser. His parents were Joseph and Elizabeth Pollard of 2 Strawberry Lane, Tong Rd, Armley, and he had 2 brothers and a sister.

Despite his small stature, he trained with the 19th West Yorkshire Regiment from 24 January 1916. He was made up to unpaid Lance Corporal from 10 April, paid at the rank from 16 May and confirmed at the rank on 1 September 1916. While with 38 TR Battalion he was made acting Corporal on 16 October 1916. He was transferred to 22nd DLI on 15 December 1916 and reverted to Private. He was then transferred to 11th DLI on 7 January 1917, serving with B Company. He was on leave over Christmas and New Year 1917-18. He was reported missing, killed in action on 29 March 1918, at Mézières during a major action of the March Retreat.

The service records include a letter from father dated 29 September 1921 enquiring about a missing plaque

Potter, Charles Robert

Lance Corporal 22506 Charles Robert Potter died of wounds on 6 September 1916, and is buried at Bronfay Farm Cemetery, which adjoins the site of a field hospital.

Potter enlisted at Newcastle on 15 December 1914 and was originally posted to 17th Battalion, C Company (one of the training battalions later stationed at Rugeley). He was aged 27 years and 220 days and lived at 20 Trevithick Street, Gateshead. He was 5ft 9in tall and weighed 139 lbs. His mother, Elizabeth Dobson was unmarried at the time of his birth. He had several siblings: Joseph (21), Private Fred Potter (20), Minnie (34) and Hetty (24). All of the children seem to be named Potter, which suggests that his mother had never actually married the man who was their father. Miss Minnie Potter filled in all of the forms and Potter’s soldier’s will left all his effects to her, and his Victory Medal was sent to her as well.

From the training battalion Potter was posted on 17 August 1915 overseas with 11th DLI. His record of discipline was not perfect. He had overstayed leave from camp at Barnard Castle on 24 April 1915 by two days and was duly admonished. He was absent by a day from tattoo on 16 June 1915 and was confined to barracks for four days. He was appointed unpaid Acting Corporal from 8 August 1916, but died of wounds on 6 September 1916, probably sustained during the capture of Guillemont.

Pounder, Thomas

Private 32765 Thomas Pounder died of wounds 6 October 1916, and is buried Bernafay Wood British Cemetery. Called up 29 May 1916, joined 11th DLI on 14 September 1916.

He attested Sunderland 10  December 1915 as part of the Derby Scheme and was called up 29 May 1916. Aged 27 yrs 3 months, he was a colliery labourer having previously served with 2nd Northumbrian RAMC. Living at 12 Windsor Terrace, Shildon. Described as underweight but otherwise fit – 5ft 5½, 33 in, 116 lbs.

During training he overstayed pass at Seaham Harbour on 10 September 1916 and forfeited 1 days pay. On 14 September 1916 he joined 11 DLI in France, arriving 27 September. He died of wounds on 6 October 1916, having spent only 23 days in France and only 10 days with the battalion.

His widow Ethel moved to 18 Market Place, Shildon and, after receiving 17s 6d pay and allowances was awarded 18s 9d pension from 19 May 1917. She remarried (Ellwood) and was living at 15 Princes St, Shildon after the war with their son Arnold, born 16 December 1915

Prickett, Richard

Private 45840 Richard Prickett died of wounds 3 September 1917, and is buried at Zuydcoote Military Cemetery.

He attested 30 November 1914 aged 34 yrs 6 months, widower with one child, 5ft 6in, 36 in chest, plasterer, living at 4 The Springs Wakefield. Next of kin given as Amy Astin Prickett of 22 Aitken St, Accrington. He was assigned to 11th Reserve Bn, York and Lancaster Regiment and later to 7th Battalion. When he was examined he was discovered to have an undescended testicle but this was dismissed as a minor problem. Later he was sent back from France for hospital treatment for the condition (March 1917). While with 7 Y&L at Étaples he was awarded 14 days FP 2 for drunkenness on two occasions in successive months, October and November 1915.

He was posted to 11 DLI on 11 September 1916. He was on leave to England 10-20 Dec 1916. After the hospital treatment mentioned above, he was attached to PB Labour Company at Dunkirk and it was while serving with them that he died of wounds at 36th CCS, 3 September 1917.

After the war his sister, Mrs Mary Ellen Hayhurst (22 Aitken St, Accrington) dealt with his affairs. A pension of 7s 0d a week was awarded for the child. The following items were returned to the family: disc, letters, photo, cards, diary, pouch, French phrase book, ring, card-case, badges, initials.

Pyke, James T

Private 17955 James T Pyke enlisted 31 August 1914 and went out with 11 DLI on 20 July 1915. He was later awarded the Military Medal, London Gazette, 27 October 1916, and promoted to Sergeant. He was discharged with the Silver War Badge 28 April 1919 aged 36.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s